Monday, January 27, 2014

Alphaboxes :Valentine's Day Theme

Hi Again,

Alphaboxes, created by Lynda Hoyt, is a wonderful nifty idea that may be utilized in various ways.  Alphaboxes is commonly used as a strategy to activate prior knowledge, build vocabulary, and build comprehension.  Many educators use this tool as a formative assessment. 

How I Use Alphaboxes:

I use alphaboxes to introduce a topic or category during my sessions.  I create a table with 4 columns boxes across and 6 rows of boxes,  Each box is labeled with a letter of the alphabet, from a-z. I created a space at the top of the page to include a topic.  The students generate or brainstorm words beginning with the letter in the box and are associated with the topic.  For example, if the TOPIC is TRANSPORTATION, and the first box is the letter "A" the  students have to think of transportaion items beginning with the  letter in the box- AIRPLANE.  Click the link to view an example of one.  I had my students look for pictures and paste it into the box- so it can be used in various manners and modified.

ALPHABOXES TRANSPORTATION EXAMPLE


Alphaboxes and Valentine's Day

Valentine's day is one of my favorite holidays so I created Alphaboxes with this theme in mind.  Today I'll offer you this activity as a freebie!  Just click on the link... :)

ALPHABOXES VALENTINE'S DAY THEME



I wish you all happiness and LOVE, today and always.

Beverly




No comments:

Post a Comment