Thursday, February 28, 2013

Express Yourself!

Increasing Conversational Skills

Hi,

I just finished working on a project which I am offering at my TpT store.  I've been thinking about various ways to improve my students' conversational skills, so I developed this activity/game, that will help them to do just that.

With this activity you can incorporate a few of the speaking and listening common core standards.


Common Core Standards Addressed:

  • CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.3.1b
  • Follow agreed-upon rules for discussions (e.g., gaining the floor in respectful ways, listening to others with care, speaking one at a time about the topics and texts under discussion).
  • and link their comments to the remarks of others.

How to use this activity:
Recommended for a small group, 2-4 students.
Establish rules for having a conversation (included in packet)
Cut out and laminate cards.  Sort cards into categories (personal/school questions, entertainment questions, food questions, random questions)
Teacher/SLP chooses a category and chooses a student who will answer a question from that specific pile.(personal/school questions, entertainment questions...)  Other student(s) should write questions or comments and ask the question or make the comment written.  Students may use terms provided in this packet that is included  (on iPods).  It can be taped on the working table or wall as a visual cue.
Another student answers a question from one of the categories and the same procedure is followed.  
There are ten questions for each category.
Student Self-Evaluation (My Conversation Inventory) and a Teacher/SLP rubric are included.


Students are provided with phrases to generate comments


I hope you find it useful!

Beverly



2 comments:

  1. I am your newest follower (found on Making Waves' giveaway!)
    Rae
    Mindful Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for following. I"m trying to work my way to have a give away also. When I reach 100 followers I plan on having one.

    ReplyDelete